WooCommerce Composite Products v3
Composite Products version 3.0 is finally here, after 12 weeks of development and a whopping 187 commits.
The new version includes many requested features and improvements targeted towards large-scale kitting applications, including:
- a redesigned, responsive front-end and back-end UI,
- multiple front-end UX refinements,
- WP_Query-based retrieval, pagination, sorting and filtering of component options,
- front-end and back-end performance optimizations,
- exclusion-based scenario definitions,
- bundled shipping improvements, and
- helpful documentation for developers.
v3.0 comes with a long list of features and improvements, which allow you to use the extension in kitting and bundling applications that involve hundreds, or even thousands of component options. Here’s a short list:
1. Paginated, Responsive Product Thumbnails
Component option thumbnails are now paginated and arranged in a responsive grid similar to the main shop loop. The extension allows you to tweak various parameters of the layout, such as the thumbnail columns count, results per-page, and much more:
2. WP_Query based Retrieval, Sorting and Filtering of Component Options
Component options in v3.0 are always retrieved dynamically through a simple, filterable
WP_Query wrapper. This makes it possible to create custom queries for retrieving component options, such as the included category-based method, and additionally, to paginate, sort and filter results dynamically.
The extension now allows you to enable a Sort by field at component level, which provides access to all core sorting methods:
Moreover, you can enable layered filters to narrow down results based on attributes, or you can use filter hooks to create and display custom product filters:
3. A Redesigned, Interactive Summary/Review Section
The Summary section has been redesigned to include more detailed information, such as product thumbnails, and provide internal links for reviewing/reconfiguring Components:
4. A Dedicated Configuration Summary Widget
The extension now includes a Composite Configuration Widget, which you can use in combination with the Stepped layout to display an updated summary of customer selections and prices:
5. New Layout: Componentized
The new Componentized layout is built around the heavily redesigned Summary section:
6. Other UI/UX Refinements
To provide a great user experience across a wide range of devices and optimize conversion, the new version has gone through a a full-blown UI/UX audit. It delivers many small but effective front-end UI/UX improvements, such as:
- a responsive summary/review section
- use of a toggle-boxes to wrap component content, by default when using the progressive layout
- effective use of auto-scrolling in response to user input
- improved handling of optional components, which can now be skipped without requiring user input
- various validation improvements
- a more robust, flexible template structure that makes it easy to change the placement of UI elements, or change various aspects of the default UX design
7. Admin-Friendly Settings
v3.0 features a redesigned admin area UI, which groups component settings in a much more logical manner and directs your attention to the most important options:
8. A Comprehensive Actions/Filters/Events API
WooCommerce developers looking to extend or customize Composite Products in depth now have an extensive Actions, Filters and Events Reference, as well as a growing collection of snippets for the most common customizations.
Updated to v3.0? Planning to upgrade soon? Please let us know what you think!
Any issues to report? Please contact WooThemes right away.
Thanks to everyone who contributed to this release with your ideas and feedback!