WooCommerce Product Recommendations
Ever wished you could precisely control which products to recommend on your WooCommerce store — and also choose where and when to do so?
Meet WooCommerce Product Recommendations. Our newest addition to WooCommerce.com is a rule-based product recommendations tool that bridges the gap between static recommendation generators, such as WooCommerce’s own product blocks, and niche personalization solutions that harness the power of big data and machine learning.
Can’t wait to know what WooCommerce Product Recommendations can do for you? This guide lists some of the most common, high-performing product recommendation strategies that you can implement with it.
Have you noticed how the most successful stores leverage the power of product recommendations? Well-executed recommendations:
- make your products easier to discover;
- help customers find products they are more likely to purchase;
- allow you to craft personalized interactions with new and returning customers; and
- ultimately deliver a more engaging experience that keeps customers coming back.
Product recommendations increase your store’s conversion rate, average order value and marketing ROI. Several sources suggest that product recommendations have the potential to drive up to 30% of your store’s revenue — when done right.
Product recommendations are not necessarily difficult to do well — however, the functionality available in WooCommerce core can’t get you very far:
- Manual up-sells and cross-sells are useful but they can be tedious to set up and maintain as your catalog grows. Moreover, they only work at specific WooCommerce locations.
- Product blocks are a great recent addition to WooCommerce that can be utilized to offer some types of static recommendations. However, they are only meant to be used inside the content area of your posts/pages.
- WooCommerce does not measure the bottom-line impact of these recommendations, which further limits their usefulness.
If you are willing to explore more advanced options for your WooCommerce store, you’ll find quite a few niche SaaS products that harness the power of machine learning to deliver deeply personalized product recommendations. But be aware: Cutting-edge technology does not come cheap, and is not always justified. What works for Amazon will not necessarily work for your store.
Given enough time and data, machine learning algorithms can be great at uncovering patterns in your customer’s preferences. If you are selling hundreds of products and receive new orders at a sufficiently fast rate, delivering highly personalized recommendations to your customers might make a lot of sense. However, if your catalog is relatively small and you only receive a few hundred orders every month, an investment in re-discovering customer preferences that you already know may not benefit your bottom line that much.
Build Your Own Recommendations
No matter how advanced they have become, machine learning algorithms cannot develop or replace the domain-specific expertise that you already possess, and can’t magically align themselves with your changing strategies. Some of the most engaging, high-performing recommendations that you can offer only require your insight, and a capable tool to help you tap into it.
WooCommerce Product Recommendations lets you:
- Build rule-based recommendation engines.
- Place recommendations at various locations of your WooCommerce store.
- Measure their impact and optimize your strategies.
Rule-based engines utilize conditional logic to generate static and dynamic/personalized recommendations based on each customer’s cart/order contents and browsing history. Here’s a few high-performing strategies that you can implement with it:
- Streamline your cross-selling and up-selling workflows. Specify cross-sells and up-sells by category or tag, instead of entering products one by one. Use conditional logic to control when to offer them — for example when customers view specific category/tag archives or products, or depending on the contents of their cart.
- Recommend products in category/tag archives to increase the visibility of your best-sellers. Offer Trending and Top Rated product recommendations to provide social proof and build confidence.
- Make your product and checkout pages more engaging with Complete the Look recommendations.
- Make essentials and accessories easier to discover with Frequently Bought Together recommendations.
- Boost your store’s average order value by recommending products that customers have viewed, but didn’t add to their cart. Offer Leave These Behind? recommendations on the checkout page.
- Invite customers to return right after placing an order. Add Still Looking for…? recommendations on the order-received page to offer products from categories they viewed, but didn’t purchase. Recommend related products conditionally, depending on order contents, and pair your offers with coupons to maximize their impact.
- Incentivize customers to spend more in order to unlock perks, such as free shipping.
- Encourage impulse purchases by recommending Last Minute Deals on the checkout page.
How It Works
To implement a recommendation strategy with WooCommerce Product Recommendations:
- Create a recommendation Engine.
- Deploy it to a Location of your store.
Recommendation Engines are “recipes” that generate product results. To configure an Engine, you combine Filters and Amplifiers. Filters narrow down results, while Amplifiers control their order.
Place Recommendations Anywhere
Engines can be deployed on almost every page and location of your WooCommerce store:
- The main Shop page.
- Individual Product pages.
- Product Archive pages (Category/Tag).
- Cart and Checkout pages.
- Order Received and Order Pay pages.
To provide impact at the perfect time, the extension lets you define Visibility Conditions for each Engine you deploy.
Οptimize Your Strategies with Detailed Analytics
WooCommerce Product Recommendations comes with detailed Revenue, Events and Conversion reports to help you measure the impact of your strategies, and optimize them in a data-driven manner.
Analyze your recommendation campaigns by tracking:
- Gross and Net Revenue.
- Unique Views.
- Clicks per Unique View.
- Click-to-Purchase Conversion Rates.
You can even generate reports by:
- Converted Product;
- Store Location; or
- Deployed Engine.
The best part? The system has been carefully designed to work on hosting environments with limited resources, and is built to scale.
How to Get Started
- Buy WooCommerce Product Recommendations.
- Download and install it.
- Navigate to Recommendations > Engines.
- Create a new Engine and deploy it to one of the available Locations.
- Sit back and enjoy the extra revenue!
Questions and Feedback
Want to know more about Product Recommendations? Feel free to , or post your message below!
Already purchased and need assistance? Get in touch with our Support Team.
Would you like to help us test new features? We’d love to !